Today on Select Seniors we feature the Duke Blue Devils. They only have one senior this year, and that is Joey Baker.
Joey Baker 13 Forward
6’6 206 lbs
- In high school – A four-star recruit ranked as the No. 41 overall prospect and No. 3 player in the state of North Carolina in the class of 2018 by ESPN
- Summer of 2018 – Duke Canada Tour
- Played in three games and averaged 7.0 points and 2.0 rebounds per game.
- Freshman Year – Played 4 games, totaling 18 minutes and 3 points.
- Made his Duke debut on the road against Syracuse
- Scored his first career points by hitting a three pointer against North Dakota State in the NCAA Tournament First Round
- Sophomore Year – Made 11 of his 12 free throw attempts for the season
- Played in 28 games with three starts, averaging 5.0 points and shooting .394 (28-of-71) from three-point range
- Made 3-of-5 three-pointers against Wake Forest (1/11), finishing with 11 points
- Junior Year – Appeared in 23 of the Blue Devils’ 24 games with one start
- Averaged 2.9 points and 1.2 rebounds for the season
- In ACC play, averaged 2.9 points, while shooting .320 from the field and .351 from behind the arc
- Poured in a season-high 12 points on 4-of-7 three-point shooting in the win at Wake Forest (2/17)
- Shot 2-of-5 from beyond the arc and finished with eight points and two assists in the ACC Tournament win over Boston College (3/9)
- Had a season-high 22 minutes in the BC victory
- Senior Year – Voted a team captain, along with junior Wendell Moore Jr.
- Went 3-of-7 from the field with two three-pointers for eight points against Army (11/12)
- Came off the bench and hit 3-of-5 three-pointers for 11 points while setting career highs in minutes (32) and rebounds (5) versus Campbell (11/13)
- Finished 4-of-7 from the field and 3-of-4 from the free throw line for 12 points and two assists against Gardner-Webb (11/16)
- Went 7-of-7 from the free throw line in a nine-point, four-rebound effort versus The Citadel (11/22)
I would like to see Joey play lots of minutes in the NCAA tournament. I also expect to see duke go far into the tournament. Right now I predict they will be a one seed.
- Born on September 13, 2000, in Fayetteville, N.C.
- Son of Jennifer and Michael Baker
- Has a sister, Annie
- Was on pace to graduate as Trinity Christian’s salutatorian before his decision to reclassify
- Majoring in Political Science at Duke